Wednesday, July 8, 2009

My Washer:)











I had been telling Nixon that I wanted a washer. I had decided that I wanted our clothes to last, especially having friends of ours buy Nixon NICE clothes. (Thanks Travis:)) So in route to take care of Woody one weekend, I found my little washer. These are the kind that are really used in the Dominican Republic. That was exactly what I wanted, I had thought I would have to have it shipped from the Dominican. It was on sale for $190 U.S. in Port Au Prince. I was so happy. I love washing ALL my clothes in about 4 hours/week and actually having them dry in about one hour. One of the sides is a spinner that really does spin it water free. (The clothes does have to be spread as evenly as possible or the bucket is not balanced and starts knocking around. ) That is really great considering that it rains A LOT here and sometimes the clothes does not dry by the time it starts to rain again.




So anyway, I have enjoyed washing for about a month and a half. I would fill my washer by pouring bucket after bucket into my little friend. It is much easier but it was some work pouring all that water in. By the time I would fill the washer for the 3rd time, my arms would start to feel weak. But I was still grateful and continued to love my friend faithfully.




This week, John hooked up a pvc pipe and a spicket from up above and through the outside into my house. Wow! It is wonderful. I just open the spicket and pour water in when I want to fill my little friend. It is nice and easy and convenient. Madam Jan would have loved that when she was washing for me. :( I just never thought it would be that easy. John hooked me up in like 20 minutes. I washed today. What a dream! I remember I did not really like washing in the States, in the washer,....having to wait,...then put it in the dryer,....then folding it. It seemed like such an ordeal. Then I moved here and hand-washed for all the YWAM orphanage kids. It would take all day at least 2 days a week. Then I got married and it was 5 or 6 hours a day, twice a week. Yes, hand washing. After the first year of marriage, Madam Jan washed for me. And now, my little friend washes.




I was mopping this morning and was telling Nixon I needed to fill the washer since we had city water for the first time in 3 days. Nixon said he would fill it. He put a little water in and he turned it on to rinse it before filling it, just like I had instructed. I watched him as he studied my little friend's insides. After he had filled it, I began to put clothes in. I turned to Nixon and he said, "baby,...." He looked kind of smirky, like he had figured something. He kept talking, "you know, I see that little washer swish the clothes one way and then the other way,....baby, it doesn't really wash the clothes,... does it?" I busted out laughing. My husband makes me laugh.




I certainly hope it washes the clothes since we spent $190 dollars on it. Mind you, it is not Haitian washed but I am confident that it washes the clothes to my satisfaction.




I love my little washer! Thank you John, for the water. :)

1 comment: