Monday, July 6, 2009

Getting Married Again?!




Yes, once we get to the States. Though we had no intention of getting married again, honestly. Well, maybe after 10 years or so.


Last week I received a new bank card. I assumed that I got one because the old one had expired. After I looked at my other card, it wasn't expiring until 2012. After taking a closer look on the card, I saw that the new card had my maiden name on it. That was strange since I had changed my name on social, bank, everything in December of 2008. Hmmm. I called my bank, the 1-800 number, an impatient woman hardly bothered to answer my questions. I called again, this time getting a young man. I explained the problem and he said I would need to come down to my local branch to do it all over again. I explained that I was out of the country and this could really cause a problem with my checks deposited and such. He said he understood but that I would have to come down to my local branch. I said, "fine", restraining myself from saying further. Then I decided to call my local branch. The young man who answered said he understood and saw no reason he could not fix the problem. He then put me on hold. "If all I had to do was to be put on hold for this mess to be resolved, no problem."

As I wondered how in the world this happened, I imagined some dodo had just used my maiden name on something or received something in my maiden name and decided to change my name back.

The same young man did not come back on the line, it was the manager of the local branch. He spoke like he knew exactly what was going on and I could hear the "good El Paso folk" in his tone of voice. He explained that when my marriage certificate got to a certain level of the bank, it was considered in valid since it was in french. It was on file along with a translation although the translation had to be notarized, and then authenticated before the bank would have taken it.

And so, long story short, my name had been changed back. The manager further explained that I should have no problem with my checks and all since my present name included my maiden name in it. That was a relief to hear.

Then I began to question him about how to rectify the problem once I made a trip back to the States. "Honestly", he said, "I would just get married again here in the States. Many folk that marry in Mexico, do this very same thing. Then you will have a U.S. marriage certificate, for anything you might need in the future. You can even invite me and we will have a good ole party", he added. What a great idea! So, long story short, to all you El Paso folk, "we will be having a wedding party in the near future". LOL!
Most people renew their vows after 10 years or so. I guess we are renewing them after 2. ;)

No comments: