Friday, July 10, 2009

Butterscotch or Blonde Brownies

This is a recipe that we shared in our Advent Recipe book at our church one Christmas. This recipe was submitted by Teresa Olsen.
IT IS A VERY GOOD RECIPE!
I have always made it as a quick desert and it makes guests groan with delight. :)
I have doubled this recipe because I make it for a good amount of people.
This will give you about 12-16 blondies.
1/2 c. shortening
2 c packed brown sugar
2 eggs
2 teaspoons vanilla
1 1/2 c. flour
2 tsp baking powder
1 tsp salt
1 c. chopped nuts ( I use walnuts)
Heat oven to 350 degrees F.
heat shortening over low heat until melted; remove from heat. Mix in brown sugar, egg, and vanilla. Stir in remaining ingredients. Spread in a regular sized rectangular baking pan. Spread evenly. Bake about 25 minutes. Cut while warm. If you wait too long, they are almost impossible to cut. And I would not serve them too much later than when they are a little warm still. You can also barely cool them and stick them in a ziplock bag. It seems they are not so hard if you do not let them sit out too much initially. They are really really good. And really, they are the easiest recipe I have.

2 comments:

Karen (3rsandahug) said...

I'm getting ready to make a batch. They sound great, and they have no butter in them! (hubby & daughter can't eat dairy) So is that 2 tsp of Haitian vanilla in the recipe or 2 tsp of regular vanilla? Guess I'll find out soon enough.

Karen (3rsandahug) said...

Yummy! I added in some chocolate chips instead of nuts, and these were a huge hit at our church pot luck & baptism yesterday. Lots of friends asked for the recipe.