Thursday, July 16, 2009

Electricity or the lack of

I remember those days when we lived out in Cyvadier. We had electric for a time between 6 or 8pm. We would anxiously await the electric. We would sit outside talking to our elderly. Sometimes we would sing together. Those were good times.
The wait for the electric was trying on the nerves though. Nixon lived in a part of Port that always had electric and of course Texas has electricity too. LOL! It was always hard.
Today was one of those days where the electric didn't come till about 7pm. I went up and sat on the roof where it was nice and cool while waiting. We didn't want to turn on the generator until we absolutely had to, to save fuel.
People had already gotten their kerosene lamps and candles out. And then poof, the electric came and all the lights went on in the houses down below and at exactly the same time children and adults cheered. It kind of sounds like, whey!!!!! I remembered that this was the same in Cyvadier. We lived far from the main street and you could hear the cheers in the distance when the electric came.
I don't think I was ever was as grateful for electricity in the States. I don't think I ever really thought about it. Here I am always aware of it.

1 comment:

Karen (3rsandahug) said...

When we were there, we were really blessed to not have to be too concerned about electricity. I think there was one night when the generator where we were wasn't on until a little after dark. But you're right - we don't think anything of it here in the States!