Wednesday, July 1, 2009

Also on my birthday







I honestly thought i would learn a third language a lot faster than the reality. I have been in Haiti since April 2007, more than 2 years now. I am not fluent. I can defend myself (as us Mejicanos would say). I watch Haitian TV and all but i really need to spend a set amount of time studying each day. This is one of my new goals.



While taking a walk with Nixon, on my birthday, we ran into a group of dark french speaking ladies. I heard a couple of Creole words(which happen to be some of those words that are identical in French). I took off speaking Creole with the lady who asked us to take some pictures for her. She looked at me and laughed kind of nervously and started to speaking to Nixon again. Nixon had just enough time to say, "babe, she doesn't understand, she doesn't speak Creole". I felt so embarrased. When they left Nixon laughed his head off remembering how I had stepped out and very proudly began to speak Creole. He would remember, play out my speaking, and then play out the lady and her blank response. I love to hear my husband laugh but Come on, give me a break!

No comments: