Sunday, October 4, 2009

Junior Church-More on the Creation Series

Nixon says we cant help loving kids
Colored sand fish plate

Solar system mobile, then the kids got to
make their own (simplified version)


We made the cutest eagle craft out of leftover
bags from VBS. They are too cute!

The kids loved this project. I cut enough for
90 children. I will admit that I got sick of cutting:(
It was soooo worth it though.
I just had to take a picture of this little girl.
No, she wasn't going to a wedding. This was
just her church outfit.
Of course Nixon thought she was the most
beautiful little girl and hopes to dress our
daughter in the same type of outfits for church.
You've got to be kidding me!

Our Junior church program is up to about 90
children per Sunday!
I am so excited about the Creation series that we are still working on with the kids.
It is going really well and the children are learning so much about God's amazing world.
We've talked about the sun and the earth, that the earth spins on it's axis, that it orbits the sun.
The kids found this really interesting and it is exciting to see them "get it".
Nixon explained to me that although they learn so many facts in school, there is not alot of really understanding. And there is no "hands-on" either.
I made a Solar System mobile to give the kids understanding of our solar system. Then we took it a step farther and used children, naming them the sun, earth, jupiter, etc, placed them in different locations and then moved the sun around in order to demonstrate night and day. It was really really cool. We also have been playing a find your planet partner game.
When we talked about plants and trees we worked on a banana tree craft, and had a banana bread snack. The week before last we talked about fish and how amazing it is that God colors the fish with so many vibrant colors. We had fruit rings for a snack, to remind them the colors God uses. We've also begun to have a classroom for watching Planet Earth. I love this! The kids are actually watching incredible footage about God' powerful and Awesome works. Actually, last week the power kept going out so Nixon was incredibly frustrated, having to restart the projector and film way too often (actually like every 5 minutes) (It was terrible but that is how things often go in this country.)
That is actually not the only challenge we've been facing. Since school has now started, the program has grown to 90 children a week, on average. Yikes!!
Anyway, I have really enjoyed working on this series. And I am so glad that I am excited about Junior church. For a while there, I was just feeling really blah about it. God has used this series to also refresh and renew me. Thanks be to God! I cannot say just how much I needed a breath of fresh air. We will be talking about reptiles next week. Yey!
Let me know if anyone has any ideas.:)

1 comment:

nanajobx said...

I am glad to see you useing the gifts God has given you to excite the children about Creation.