Monday, September 28, 2009

What a DORK! (at least that is what my sister would have called me:)

The Innocent looking steamer. Her pretty silver
exterior is deceptive.

Leann has a steamer and I really didn't know what I could do with it. Madam Emeline had been doing nothing but storing flour in it and I found the manual lying around so I decided to look into it not too long ago. After seeing that you can cut down the cooking time by 70% I was sold.

"That would save a lot of propane," I thought. I told Madam Emeline to clean out the steamer because I had a plan. Smart right?

Well this morning was the morning. The result would be a nice big pot of pinto beans for a Mexican household.

Ok, so I read the instructions again and I had trouble figuring out when I could turn it off. Turns out I have to figure that out myself. The manual said 20 minutes for beans so I waited until 30 minutes had passed just to make sure.

After the time is completed I was supposed to turn the regulator valve to let out all the steam. I turned it a little and the steam began to come out. I figured I could open it completely. I figured it was ok.

As soon as I let go of the valve, I knew it was about to blow. It ruptured hissing brown liguid and steam. I heard my husband yell, "get back baby!"

I watched from a distance as the spray of steam mixed with brown bean water continued to shoot into the air. I so wish I would have taken a pictureof this. The spray continued for about 5 minutes as I helplessly looked on. It felt like a lot longer.

The aftermath was even sadder. Bean water ran down the walls, down the oven door, from my hanging utensils, from the ceiling, all over the floor and puddled in the stove.

I didn't know where to start cleaning up so I called Madam Emeline and she came to my rescue.

Madam Emeline chuckled to herself as she started to clean up the mess. I heard her say, "she said it would cook the food faster", and then she continued to laugh.

I was just trying to save propane!

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Oh my gosh Sandra, I can't believe what happened! It sounds like something out of a television show. Well it was good you were not burned but sorry about your kitchen cleanup!~

nanajobx said...

pressure cookers are wonderful things i hear. but you MUST follow the directions because they are also DANGEROUS! as you now know! :)

Dave said...

Look at the bright side, if there was a flaw in the lid or the seal gave way, it could actually have exploded.

Please have Nixon get in touch. we need to talk about our trip!