Thursday, September 10, 2009

The Journey

Losing weight is similar to the spiritual journey we find ourselves on.
During different times in my life I have succeeded to some point. I have succeeded to the point of losing over 60 lbs over a two year time period. At other times in my life I have hopped on a life changing diet only to lose 0-5 lbs and then quit.
The lack of discipline that leads some of us(those who carry that cross)to weight gain promises satisfaction but instead only delivers more entrapment. The piece of chocolate cake (such as the ones i make) is good at that moment but that savory treat delivers discouragement when seen on the scale. And the pounds creep up, they usually don't just instantly appear on the scale.
They sneak in, one by one, only to deliver a near heart attack shocker at a later point in time.
Spiritually, it is much the same.
The lack of discipline of keeping up with our daily time with the Lord (rushed prayers and reading of God's Word every Sunday don't really count)only delivers confusion, exhaustion, weakness, pits of depression and discouragement. That sin may be good at the moment but in the end delivers painful and discouraging consequences. Those days where the daily nourishment of God's Word are not taken in result in poor health.
Training is needed in both subjects, Spiritual growth and stability as well as physical health (being 50 lbs overweight is not healthy). Training spiritually helps increase our strength, our perseverance, and prepares us for those spiritual battles that come like huge waves. Training physically increases our physical strength, increases perseverance to do as much as we can, and prepares us for those physical challenges of climbing mountains and walking/running to get to those remote areas of the world.
I started my weight watcher challenge this week. I am doing it with something of a different mentality though. I am doing it for a lifetime this time. I want to think of it as this is how I am going to eat for the rest of my life. (Some of us carry that cross, that is just the way it is.)
Last week the HCH/JIH team went to Basin Bleu. I knew that it was going to be hard on me, being that I've gained 30 lbs since I got married, almost two years ago now. (Yep, that is a whopping 15 lbs/year.) It still amazes me. The Basin Bleu experience was hard, humiliating(though the clapping was meant in the kindest of ways), and showed me that it is time to stop playing around and get with it. Add in the amazing beauty of the mountains and the waterfall area, I am glad that I HAD to go.
Pray for me when you get a moment. Freedom in the Lord is to be closer than close to Him, Freedom (physically speaking) is to be in the best health possible(to me, losing a lot of weight).

No comments: