Tuesday, March 10, 2009

"Simple stories"-Phat or Fat?




I was married 15 months ago and was at least 10 pounds lighter then. I continued to lose weight for the next six months. HCH Nannies approached my husband in concern, "your wife is losing weight, what is wrong?" (what?#!?)


Last Sunday, I was walking home from church. We have a very large deaf community that goes to our church. Nixon walked behind me along with some of our boys. I passed one house where a young man sat outside. As I was passing, he sang, "I wanna know what love is.." LOL!! Later my husband told me he wanted to sing out, "why don't you ask your mom to s.h..o..w you". LOL!!
As i was nearing our building, I felt someone coming up on my left hand side. It was one of our "deaf" boys from church. He obviously did not say anything but had an "ear to ear" smile. I said hi and then he proceeded to motion, grinning the whole time. He pointed to me, then held out his arms around his belly and puffed out his cheeks. My interpretation, "ou pi gwo". Translation, "you are fatter,.....thumbs up". I politely accepted the compliment(?!) and kept on laughing as he continued to walk ahead. What a different world I live in. I would have been either crushed or would have socked that person if I was back in the States. Here, not quite the same. As I reflect on my struggle to lose weight in a carb enamored country, I can't help but giggle. And yes, I would still love to lose 30 pounds, no matter the compliments I might lose as a result.

2 comments:

Pye's In Haiti said...

That is horrible and funny!
If it makes you feel better, I think you're beautiful just the way you are!

nanajobx said...

so glad to be with you in the blog world. i love your deaf church kids and your church. and your home and your family (nixon and all your boys) and i espically love you!